AKIN: I don’t see it as even a matter of science because I don’t know that you can prove one or the other. That’s one of those things. We can talk about theology and all of those other things but I’m basically concerned about, you’ve got a choice between Claire McCaskill and myself. My job is to make the thing there. If we want to do theoretical stuff, we can do that, but I think I better stay on topic.
Actually, Mr. Akin, evolution does indeed qualify as science. In fact, it’s a perfect example. “Creationism” does not qualify as science and should never be taught as such. It’s an example only of blindered faith. You were wise to steer the discussion away from that. The more you say about science, the dumber and more ignorant you reveal yourself to be.
knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method.
Scientific Method (concise version):
principles and procedures for the systematic pursuit of knowledge involving the recognition and formulation of a problem, the collection of data through observation and experiment, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses.
Scientific method (verbose version):
Mathematical and experimental techniques employed in the natural sciences. Many empirical sciences, especially the social sciences, use mathematical tools borrowed from probability theory and statistics, together with such outgrowths of these as decision theory, game theory, utility theory, and operations research. Philosophers of science have addressed general methodological problems, such as the nature of scientific explanation and the justification of induction.
- Hypothesis: Todd Akin is totally clueless about science.
- Evidence to test the hypothesis: written statements plus video and audio recordings of Akins’s own comments re science.
- Analysis of evidence: analysis – conforming to “best practice” criteria – is ongoing, since evidence continues to emerge.
- Conclusion: Again, premature to draw a conclusion. Nevertheless, you should know, Congressman, that data are trending toward confirmation of the hypothesis with a very high degree of statistical confidence.
- Recommendation for further research: Please, please, Congressman! Keep talking!! Based on that talk future research will expand beyond just science to help build a full picture of the total cluelessness of the creature known as “Todd Akin.”